|This is the original crown originally installed above the windows. I couldn't find a modern equivalent without having it custom milled so I decided to just strip this piece since it removed in one piece.|
Our mosaic tile floor plan fell apart because of the mismatched red tile. We can't get either the cinnamon or the red tiles in less than 6-8 weeks and we don't want to delay the project that long. And there is still no guarantee the reorder will be the correct color so we simply decided to change the plan AGAIN. (I think this might be Plan D.)
I dug through my period catalogs and my pinterest tile board and I found this nice two-color border from a circa 1900s American Encaustic mosaic tile catalog. Of course we didn't originally order enough green tile to do this new pattern, so we have to order more green, but that hopefully will only delay the project another week.Barrett was planning to start laying the tile floor today, but because of having to reorder the tile his schedule is delayed again. I truly hope this is the last major delay and we'll be able to get started next week.
Nice work on the paint stripping, as usual. If the medicine cabinet had fewer layers, perhaps it wasn't painted as often as the rest of the woodwork. I could see Simone leaving it a different color as an accent, much as people do with bathroom mirror frames these days.ReplyDelete
The rest of the woodwork had at least 10 coats of paint (probably more). I'm thinking maybe the paint just got too thick for the door to close property so they were forced to strip it sometime ago.Delete
Wow, 10 coats is a lot! One of the arguments I make for stained millwork is that the finish can look good for 100 years, where paint (especially the white so popular now) will soon look dinged and dingy. Much of the oak millwork in our house has its original shellac finish and still looks great 103 years later.Delete