When CDR installed our back stairs in 2012, they put in hemlock! In Rainy Oregon. Outdoors. Had they taken one minute to ask us what we wanted, we would have approved and paid for a more durable outdoor wood. But what is done, is done. And now the backstair railing wood is all rotted out.
Thursday, February 25, 2021
Replacing Rotted Railing
Wednesday, February 17, 2021
Front Planter Destroyed
New renters arrived to move into the house next door on Monday when our snow was so bad and they decided to drive across our front planter (even though I ran out and told them it was there) and then they got stuck. Duh. Then they spent a couple hours trying to dig the truck out of it. Sigh. I feel sorry for all the plants they killed. =(
Saturday, February 13, 2021
(Re)Started Quilt Blog
This blog started as a way for us to share with our family what we were up to after we moved out of state. But over time, as we remodeled our craftsman home in Laurelhurst, it morphed into a historic house remodel blog. It was a way for me to save info I had researched and as a way to record progress on our projects. But I have shifted a lot of my leisure activities to fabric crafts now and they don't really fit into the Laurelhurst Craftsman house theme. I will still use this blog for our gardening and woodworking projects since they still benefit this house.
Once the weather warms up we do hope to do another round of woodworking. I would very much like to finish my master bedroom closet. We decided to try and make the cabinets ourselves but the pandemic brought our progress to a halt. I'm hoping we'll get back to work on the project later this year.
Anyway, since I am seriously considering starting a long arm quilting business, I decided I should shift my sewing-related posts over to my long-abandoned quilt blog. Once I figure out a new name, I'll change the name of the blog, but I will leave it as it is for now.
If you're here primarily for the quilt posts, I would encourage you to follow that blog. I will start using that blog to post about project progress and challenges I am participating in.
I have posted a new post over there.
Thursday, February 11, 2021
New Porch Floor
The porch is not finished, but they won't be making any more progress this week because of the snow. The new porch floor is looking really nice. As a reminder, the wood is meranti decking.
Sunday, February 7, 2021
Queen's Jewel Quilt Finished
I actually finished this quilt binding before the other two quilts, but it took me a few days to take photos, which are not great. The master bedroom is a bit of a mess.
Saturday, February 6, 2021
Fire Dance Quilt Finished
For this month's Friday Night with Friends, I decided I wanted to try to finish the binding on my Fire Dance quilt. I started at about 5:30PM and I was done by 9:30PM. I don't think I'll ever go back to sewing bindings by hand; I used to take weeks to finish them. (The trick is to sew the binding to the backside of the quilt and then flip it to the front so the "messy" side is on the back. I found several good videos showing how to do it, but this is the best one.)
Lorien's Dragons pantograph, which I love.Batik Beauties book by Laurie J. Shifrin. I designed some half-blocks to make it larger for my bed.
Friday, February 5, 2021
Lenton Rose Quilt Finished
I finally finished the batik flower quilt I started in October 2019. I had hoped to take Long Arm Quilting classes so I could finish it myself, but I finally got tired of waiting for the pandemic to end so I paid someone else to finish it for me.
This is one I designed myself using Electric Quilt 7. I made it using the Providence Block and added a bit of sashing because I thought it looked better. I'm not sure how I came up with the name Lenton Rose but I suspect I named it last spring when all our hellebores were in bloom.
I sorted through the fabrics I used for this quilt and found enough fabric to make three sets of matching pillowcases. I used the burrito method to make the pillowcases and it worked quite well, though I am not exact in my measurements. I tended to make the cuff a little bit wider and the trim a little smaller (or I would just use a scrap I had leftover from the project).
I had it quilted with the Flutterwings quilting design.
Thursday, February 4, 2021
Hand Made Home started the porch remodel on Monday. They started by plastic-wrapping the porch (because of the lead paint) which made it impossible to take photos of the floor removal. LOL
|Sorry for the bad photo, I had to take it through the screen door.|
Monday, February 1, 2021
February One Monthly Goal
My February One Monthly Goal is actually five tasks. Over the past few weeks, I have gotten back FIVE quilts from the long arm machine quilter. I would like to finish binding ALL of them. This is a lot for such a short month, but I am anxious to work on a new project so I want to be sure and finish these first.