Thursday, April 23, 2020

Making Placemats

I decided I wanted to make some placemats and I designed a bunch of options. Jeff picked the first one I would make. This was the original design.
I followed the directions and cut it out as instructed, but they didn't turn out right. Some of the pieces were too long and that should have been my first clue. I should have ditched it right then and gone down to my Electric Quilt program to figure out what was going on. But I kept sewing...
It turns out when I originally printed out the block cutting instructions I set the size of the block wrong. Again. Sigh.

From now on I clearly need to be more obsessive about double-checking each block when I print it. Electric Quilt disconnects the quilt design from the block design and when you print out a block it retains the size of the last block you printed which obviously isn't necessarily the correct size. I need to be more careful about checking the block size in each quilt design before I print it.

I could probably just use these pieced panels as they are, but I'm such a perfectionist it will bother me that they're skewed. So, I'll likely try again. I hope I have enough of the navy fabric left so I don't have to tear these apart.

Here are some options for the next round.

No comments:

Post a Comment