Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Queen's Jewel Redo

I first finished the Queen's Jewel quilt in October 2018. I made it mostly from my scrapbag, but in the end, I didn't like how scrappy it was so I bartered it for our mason bees.

But I still like the pattern, so I decided to make it again.  This time, I carefully planned out fabrics and their typical arrangement. It takes a lot of time to make this quilt and I don't want to get it wrong again. 
I started the quilt last weekend and have been working on it a few hours every day.
I had to cut out 160 strips to make the triangle units.
I'll still have to cut more strips for the outer rows of each block.
I sewed the light and dark strips together and then ironed them flat.
Then I spent about 8 hours using my right angle ruler to cut them into triangles.
Now that I've finished the triangles, I can start assembling the blocks. I think I will try making them in batches this time; maybe five blocks at a time so I can mix up the fabrics better.

No comments:

Post a Comment