Wednesday, January 10, 2024

T&G Siding Project

Last spring, I bought a big pile of tongue & groove for the re-roofing project. It ended up there was quite a lot left, but by the time the roofers had actually showed up, it had been sitting out in the weather for 4-months and we could no longer return the leftovers. And it continued to sit there until November, throughout fall and the big drop of black walnut leaves.

So, we decided to try using some of it up by installing it on that framed wall in the basement. We think it will help the space look a little more tidy. 

Over the weekend, Jeff cut pieces roughly the right length and I wiped them down to try and wipe off the dirt. Many were still slightly damp so they're hanging out in the basement with fans and a portable heater.

We're hoping they'll be thoroughly dried out by next weekend and we'll see if we can install them. Then I'll try to reprime and paint them. We need to start moving back in as we're paying storage fees. I'd like to be out of storage before summer.

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

New Media Console

We bought a new-to-us media console (finally). I've been looking for over a year, but I'm so picky that it was hard to find something on craigslist/Facebook marketplace that met all my parameters. Even this one didn't meet all my parameters, but I really liked the style so we bought it anyway.
This actually came with three amazing doors, but we took two of them off so the remote controls would work. We'll obviously keep the doors for some future time.
I'm hoping to eventually buy or make three replacement doors and put in speaker fabric in place of glass to help keep down the dust.

This winter much of our theater gear is being replaced. In November, we got a new 65-inch TV for Jeff's birthday. It was a huge upgrade from our 15-year-old 37-inch TV. And this past week we ordered a new receiver and speakers for Jeff after the old subwoofer set off the smoke alarm in the middle of the night. It seemed like a good time during the holiday sales.

Monday, January 1, 2024

Basement Storage Painted

I guess I never posted photos of the mostly-finished basement storage area. Tim finished it last week. We had him use the Hubbard Squash-colored paint leftover from our project in the rest of the basement. It looks very yellow, but I'm sure it will look fine once we move back in. The lights were also leftover as I'd purchased them for another project and they hadn't gotten used.

Tim also laid down Rubber Stall Mats on the floor. They were much more affordable than products marketed as gym mats. I don't know exactly what brand he purchased, but they are similar to this product.

Jeff and I are now trying to decide if we'll do any more work in the space before we move back in. We have some tongue & groove boards leftover from the re-roofing project and we are considering installing them on that wall. I think it would help the space look more tidy once everything is back.

Jeff goes back to work tomorrow so it will probably be a while before we make any progress on this, though, I don't want to wait too long because I don't want to keep paying for storage.