Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Varnishing T&G

We've been very lucky the last couple of days and I was able to work on varnishing the bathroom ceiling T&G outdoors. I originally expected to have to work in the living room, but this was way better.
A couple days ago, the forecast was for FOUR sunny days and I was excited to have a bunch of time to work outside, but now our weather forecast has changed and the rain is coming back. Oh well, two days of sun is better than none. I knew the rain would be back, I just hoped it would wait a little longer so I could also do some staining.

Barrett came out today, a couple hours late, and grouted the bathroom floor. I haven't taken a picture yet. Though, he said he'd be back because there are still a few more tiles he wants to dig out and replace. He said grouting shows low areas or other problems, so he grouts first.

Once I painted the bathroom with glossy paint, I could see that the guy I hired to do the sheetrock taping in the bathroom did a lousy job. Sigh, it's not really a surprise based on his whining while he was here. So I decided to see if John MacNab could come out and fix it for us, as well as patching the other two holes in the other rooms. I wish I had just called him first, as his price was more reasonable than I was expecting. Luckily, he thinks he can squeeze in our job on Wednesday and Thursday of this week.

Then, on Friday, the bathroom cabinet will be installed. I'm really looking forward to that.

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Making Dog Gear

When Jeff and I were shopping for the new dog child we were reminded just how much it costs to buy leashes and collars. I don't know how we manage, but we seem to lose a lot of leashes. We quite often are looking around for them when it's time to go out, so I decided I had the technology to just make more. I did have to buy some materials though.

I shopped around some and found Country Brook Design has competitive prices and collar packs, so I ordered some 1" webbing and hardware for collars and leashes for Shasta.

Then while I was cruising around, I found a cool blog that showed how you could dress up leashes with metallic trim. Well, I have a TON of metallic trim in my sewing room stash, leftover from my early SCA days when I actually thought that stuff was period. LOL

There are several websites that show how to make collars and leashes, but truthfully, I just looked at collars and leashes we already had to duplicate their construction. But I did find some good tutorials and I'll list them here.

How to Make a Boutique Style Dog Collar and Leash
Sew Your Own Dog Leash
How to Make a Fabric Covered Dog Collar

I actually started by making this leash and collar set, to practice. I'm not even sure what I'll do with it, because I don't really need it.
Then I finished Shasta a new harness and leash with Jeff's favorite colors. I'll try and get a photo of her wearing it when she's awake.
This was so much fun, I've ordered some more webbing in a thinner size so I can make gear for Bailey. I likely won't bother with the metallic trim for her until she gets a little bigger because she'll grow out of harnesses too quickly.

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Mosaic Tile Floor

The mosaic in the bathroom is laid, but it is still not done. It still needs to be grouted.
Barrett managed to turn this 2-day job into a 4-day job because he had to take so much time off to deal with family stuff (6-days if you include the two sick days). The floor does look nice though and I'm looking forward to it being grouted on Monday.

Now that we've got until next Friday before the cabinet is installed, we'll probably try and get the ceiling installed this coming week. And I'll hopefully get the woodwork for the baseboards stained and varnished so they can be installed too.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Lucky Coincidence

I was cruising through the 1907 Mott's Plumbing catalog again tonight trying to work out the shower design (again) and I came across this picture of the Plaza bathroom.
As I looked closer, I realized not only did it use the design I was considering for our shower tile, but it also had a nearly identical pattern on the floor to what we chose. This is pretty exciting for me, because I'm a historic research freak.
I still haven't entirely figured out the plan for the shower enclosure. I can't get a period shower as they aren't made anymore and I'm not rich enough to have one made, but I will do what I can to come up with something that doesn't look too modern. I was actually really surprised to see angle brackets on this shower enclosure from the same 1907 catalog.
If you look really close at the left edge of the glass, there are metals tabs holding it together. That makes me feel a lot better about having to use a few in our shower design. I guess there are really only so many ways to hold glass together, so it's not a huge surprise they thought them up by 1907.

Tile Floor Progress

Barrett cancelled yesterday because he was sick, but today he finally got started. He said he started laying out the fancy border design as he went, but then the cement was drying before he could finish, so he decided it was easier to lay out the floor with the basic grid and borders, and then tomorrow he will pop out the appropriate white pieces and replace with green pieces.
This pattern was pulled from a period tile catalog. We doubled up all the borders to get the pattern to work better with our room dimensions.

The dog children are learning to hang out together. For the most part they are both doing great, but Shasta still doesn't want to cuddle with Bailey, nor does she have much interest in sharing her treats.
It's pretty hard to wait the 2 weeks until Bailey's suture heals to be able to let her really play hard. The poor thing is going a little stir crazy because we're having to keep her leashed at the dog park.

 
UA-41638512-1