Today, I first tried feeding in the mylar by itself and the machine actually did a pretty nice job cutting it. But it became clear pretty quickly why you need a backing material on the plastic: The cut pieces started to separate and stick out and the mylar would not have fed properly when it was rolling back and forth cutting the design, so I stopped the project in the middle. Here is that attempt.
dining room curtain project. (And I'll say it again, the software is great!)
|These numbers refer to the blade depth, not the attempt number|
|Design etched onto the mylar|
Amy Miller, who published Stenciling the Arts & Crafts Home, recommends stencils be cut from 5 to 7mil mylar, so I will probably try and locate some thinner plastic. I found a blog post from one woman who successfully cut plastic purchased from JoAnn's, so I will probably go and pick up some of those sheets and see if they'll work.
I did receive the vinyl I ordered, but the stuff is crap; it is tissue thin and only good for one use. And it's expensive—$15 for a 3-foot by 9-inch piece. That's not at all what I'm interested in using. I'll save the stuff for sometime when I don't care about it being destroyed after one use.