Sharon seems to have gotten her act together this week and is finally managing to work on more home projects during her days.
This morning she finished recoating the smaller master bedroom closet. We hadn't really been planning to recoat the whole closet, but we had an extra tub of joint compound and the walls were very rough. Sharon thought the paint job would look much better once the walls were smoother. It is an interesting joint compound that goes on pink and then turns white when it dries.
Then this afternoon, since the weather has been so unpredictable, Sharon decided she may as well start a new paint stripping project that could be done outside under cover. Right after we finish our master bedroom, we're planning to strip paint in the bedroom we plan to set up as a guest bedroom. We usually have the doors dipped, but it costs around $140 each, and we have more time than money at this point. So we've decided to strip the doors ourselves for this last room.
This paint has been particularly tough to remove with the heat gun; perhaps it's the cold air outside. In our earlier attempts, paint has stripped off a bit faster. After 5 or 6 hours of effort, she got only one side of the door mostly stripped. There is still several hours of chemical stripping needed to clean up this one side of the door.
Our ultimate goal for this door is to stain it, so we'll be spending many hours cleaning it up over the next week.
Update on Saturday: After another half-day of work, side two looks the same.
I'm in the middle of stripping our bathroom door...I started using the heat gun outside but the air temperature has been so cold that the paint just gummed up again immediately after lifting - such a pain! So now I'm working inside (I know, I know) using a combination of the heatgun and chemical stripper. I have a loooooong way to go!ReplyDelete
Your door is going to be lovely.