Before applying the shellac, I went through and touched up the whitish spots with stain-colored paint. There were not many, but there were some in the hard-to-reach crevices.
Nathan from CDR—the talented carpenter who built our colonnades—is coming out on Monday to help us install the crown moulding in the entryway. That project proved to be beyond us. If we were painting, we probably would go for it, but with stain-grade we can't just fill the gaps and paint over the mistakes.
We also still need to stain the upper hallway and linen cabinet. It turns out installing inset doors when you don't know what you're doing isn't so trivial. So, we're still working on installing the linen cabinet doors. We're hoping to get them finished today, then I'll stain and shellac the linen cabinet.
Once we're done with the last of these staining projects, we'll be painting the walls again. And then having the floors refinished. I expect we'll be mostly done by the end of the month. At least I hope so, because I've already hired a floor refinisher to start right after Thanksgiving.
And because these before-after photos give me so much pleasure . . . I can't resist posting them again. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a before picture before the baseboard woodwork was stripped and stained during our remodel.
|Staircase before paint stripping|
|Staircase almost after. We still need to paint.|
Wow! Looks great! You seemed to do that in record time too. :)ReplyDelete
It went pretty fast once I got started. I basically put on a coat a day, so it was a four day job. I'll planning to do some extra coats of shellac on the hand rail and I may do a bit of touchup, if I see any problems, over the next few days.Delete
Looks great! You did get that done really fast.ReplyDelete
Looking good! (and great tip about the stain colored paint)ReplyDelete