I know today probably wasn't the best time to start this project, with finals being in a week and all, but the color of the underlying wood has simply been nagging at me. Our countertop choice really depends on how dark this wood is under the paint. If the wood was very dark, I didn't want to also go with a dark countertop, like soapstone. So, I'm encouraged by what we found.
This started out as a solo project, but then Jeff got caught up in my enthusiasm too and starting helping out. This was maybe a half-hour of work.
We had a skinny linen dresser in this spot, and I figured we could just put it back to hide the spot, but now that we've seen the paint will partially scrape off with the Silent Paint Remover, we'll probably keep going. We're obviously going to need another pass with chemicals, but it's too cold to open up the house for ventilation, so we'll have to content ourselves with this result for another couple of months. In spring we can bring in some of the evil, but effective, chemical removers.
Today, though, we have to do schoolwork. Jeff has two large projects he needs to finish by next Friday.