Friday, August 3, 2012

Master Bedroom Shellacked

I managed to finish shellacking my very first bedroom. Yeah! Now that I've done it once, it is far less intimidating and I know I can manage the rest of the upstairs.

I worked hard this week and put up 2 full coats in the room. Each coat took somewhere between 4 and 5 hours. And since it was forecast to be very hot this weekend, I was hoping to get the room finished by this afternoon.

I had actually planned to do 3 coats of shellac, but when I went up to apply the third coat this morning, it looked great with just the 2. Perhaps I applied it a bit thicker than the professionals. Or my homemade shellac is just different from the Zinsser ready-made stuff.

This room certainly looks shinier with thicker coverage than the downstairs woodwork.

Anyway, once the shellac has the hot weekend to bake on, I can move onto painting next week. It is so exciting to finally get so close to finishing this bedroom; it's taken us over a year on this one.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!

    I'm laying more coats on my trim, as many as five or six. But I'm using a 1# cut so it flows better, and I've got the dye in the shellac itself and need to build up to the color I want. Too chicken to apply the dye straight to the wood, I guess.

    Yours looks great.