We spent several hours today trying to clean and organize the basement. While we made progress, it was way too slow and we didn't finish nearly as much as I was hoping. Progress is really slow because I'm determined to sort as we go and not just move this mess to another area of the house or garage.
I'm always a little reluctant to show pictures of the basement—it was totally a mess. And even after many hours of effort, it's still a mess. Just less of one.
The front storage area was quite the disaster area. During the remodel we stowed an awful lot of misc. boxes in there. Plus we had the movers bring stuff back in December and some of that was piled in there too. Here's how it looked when we started today.
We had a pallet leftover from when our living room furniture was shipped to us. Jeff added a bit more wood for support and he used it as a place to stack up the packed books from the left side of the basement. (We shouldn't have brought these back from storage in December, but I didn't realize we'd be doing this family room project now.)
Our current plan is to cram as much stuff as we can into this front storage area for the next couple of months while we finish the family room, and then we won't have to haul everything out to our paid storage and then back again. And we won't clutter up the garage during the project. It would be nice to have some space out there to work.
The left side of the basement looked like this when we started.
Update the next day: We sifted the misc. boxes in the living room. It sort of sucked, but we did it and the mess is mostly contained into one pile ready for a garage sale or donation, which we have to find a place to stash. Jeff is a real trooper and just kept opening those awful boxes which I didn't feel like doing.