I've been continuing to clean up the pile of salvaged wood in our driveway. We had a few pieces of weathered and rather ratty pieces of shiplap siding leftover from the old garage. When I noticed them I remembered these benches we inherited from my Grandmother.
I took some measurements off the old stool and cut out the siding. I had just enough pieces to make two stools. I then cut in the 5° angles. Jeff helped me assemble them with scraps on the backside to hold the pieces together while the glue dried. The wood still looks pretty rustic but looks considerably better after I spent a few minutes sanding them. I might do more sanding before I paint them.
Jeff actually routed out the curves in the base for me. I did one panel myself and had a lot of problems, and he ended up finishing them. (I'm still a little scared of the router.)
I decided to make pieced tops since we have an abundance of 2x4 and 2x6 short scraps. We actually fired up the planer for the first time since 2013 and cleaned them up because they were also pretty weathered.
Last week we bought the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig and we thought this would be a good opportunity to try it out.
Tomorrow, after these are dry, we're going to round-over the edges then I'm going to paint them with a protective opaque stain before we do the final assembly.