I finally managed to get all the supplies in one place and talked myself into trying stencilling. It was fun! But my experiment did make it clear to me that I need to get some more brushes. We've really only got one brush of each of the different sizes and you can't change colors. You need a separate brush for each color used.
I also tried a more-Arts & Crafts style stencil.
This is how stencils were commonly used in Arts & Crafts homes. I'm hoping to stencil around the parlor and most of the bedrooms. And I'm hoping to stencil the edge of fabrics, especially for simple curtains in the common areas.
I'm excited that stenciling is fun!